I had heard the river was starting to get bad and roads were closed so I had to check it out. So between the classes Jake teaches, he watched the kids while I put on my rubber boots and hopped on my scooter to do some investigation work myself. If it gets worse I will update in a new post.
Getting close to filling up my rubber boots
Standing in trash and other thing that has come up with the river as it mixes with sewage and trash from the streets.... Very thankful for my boots!
Flooded homes and buildings
A flooded school I think, If you look closely lots of kids are swimming behind the gate.
This was the road to my friend Rinas house. I had to park 2 streets away and walk. Notice the power lines, on the other side of that used to be a field then the river.
Facing the other way was a field and a road down to the river that is now completely submerged.
Now I am on my friend Rina's roof looking down at her neighbors. The pink house you have to access by boat which they were doing while I was there.

This is Rina looking over the river laughing about how crazy it is. The river hasn't been this high in a very long time. Notice the light pole near her head; that's where the field was, but the river has completely covered it.
Her front door/ gate/ road/ ... Now river!
Anyone who has been here knows how crazy this is. The pizzeria is underwater and is currently shut down.. Yes, so sad for us.
Inside the top of the pizzeria where they do all the cooking. It has all flooded with water and trash. The seating area is about 15 feet underwater. Plenty of free tables though ;)
Assi....this was once a road. Now it's a very deep wall of water.... And apparently boat parking.
I guess I was not the only one who thought this was crazy. I was just the only crazy foreigner in rubber boots.
Really hope that pizza place opens up again, the boys are really looking forward to it.
ReplyDeleteMEL! These photos are INSANE! - I recognize lots of the places - Rina's house, Assi Pizza, WOW! Insane. I am thankful for your rubber boots; and not surprised that you were "the crazy foreigner" out exploring - love your explorative heart! HA!
ReplyDeleteCan't believe the river's all the way up to Rina's building - THAT. IS. INSANE. People are just used to being wet up to their knees 24/7 eh! I'm thankful Rina's apartment is on a high level! Tell her I say hello and to practice holding her breath underwater - CRAZY GANGES!