Judah Came into the world screaming like every other baby
Kisses from mommy
Already fits in perfectly in the family with the silliness
On the morning of Saturday, September 1st, we left for the hospital as Melissa was going into labor. We had planned a water-birth this time around. The labor progressed very well and at around 11pm, Melissa was fully effaced and 10cm dilated. After over an hour and half of pushing, the baby still had not descended into the birth canal and it was causing some concern for the doctor and the doula. They suggested she come out of the water and walk around to see if it would get things back on track. As soon as Melissa stood up, she looked at me and said “Something’s not right.” Immediately, I asked if it felt like a seizure was coming on. To which, she replied “Yes.” We put her in a wheelchair and took her to the labor room (as a water-birth was no longer an option). By the time we reached the labor room, Melissa was screaming in pain as the pains of labor in addition to fighting off the seizure was too much to handle. The doctors could only give a limited amount of anti-seizure meds because of the baby. (To make a side note here, it must be said that the baby’s heart beat never decelerated/accelerated, nor did it become faint. They monitored the baby well and he was never under duress. Without any question at all, we accredit that to the only One capable of such a miracle, Christ Jesus.) Although the doctor was not concerned directly with the baby, it was important to get the baby out, so as to not allow anything to happen. As they prepared to take her to the operating room, Melissa looked at me in her intense pain and said words that will forever haunt me, “Jake, I’m not gunna make it. Take care of little Eden for me.” Even as I write now, I cannot help but cry over those words. Because we were aware of the risks of an epileptic pregnancy, we had to discuss what I pray no parents will ever have to discuss. In the event of a decision of life, who will we save? The baby or Melissa? Our decision came down to Melissa. For months, I couldn’t help but beg God that I wouldn’t have to make that decision, yet here it seemthis whole situation, I prayed “O Lord God, please, I beg of You, please.” And that’s pretty much all I could get out. As we moved her to the operation room, I was in need of scrubs. Divya, who was our doula (and had become a good friend), said to me “Jacob! You need to change! Come here!” Immediately, I threw down my shorts and took off my shirt. As she looked over at me she said “You can hang your clooo..... oh, well that’s one way to do it. Here ya go!” I threw them on and as I ran into the O.R. she yelled, “Oh! You forgot your cap!” Remembering I am completely bald she said, “Oh whatever, stick it in your pocket.” :) Moving on... as I ran into the OR, they had the anesthesiologist all set and ready to go. The doctor had all of her equipment ready to make the incision when Melissa screamed “He’s here!” Immediately everyone froze, only to see the baby crowning. “He really is here!” Within 1-2 minutes, precious Judah had arrived. He was completely healthy and mad as any newborn should be. They immediately put him in Melissa’s arms and Divya snapped a picture of our new family member. (Melissa has no recollection of that photo whatsoever.) They took him away to the nursery and I watched as they pumped TONS of anti-seizure meds into Melissa. Once I realized she was going to be ok, I left to go check on Judah. As soon as I learned he was fine, I walked out into the hallway that connects the rooms. I leaned against the wall and burst into tears as all the emotions that I had stuck on the back-burner came rushing out. Pretty much, it was the worst feeling I’ve ever had. Yet in the midst of that moment, I was completely overwhelmed at God’s goodness. He truly answered my prayer (however simple and quick). I write this story to you not to say “Whoa is me,” but to declare the goodness of the God we serve. He made me confront my deepest fears, which stretched me beyond what I ever could have imagined. Yet all the while, He remained faithful to me and to my family. How great is our God!?!?!



No comments:
Post a Comment