Thursday, 4 October 2012

Reality of living in Chai Country


Jake is out of town for awhile and word is getting around that he has left. People keep showing up at my door asking for money.  I guess there must be a rule that says, Go ask the dumb white lady for money cause her husband is not here.  Who knows why they think they can pull this stuff over on me....by 8am this morning a girl already was knocking at my door asking for money for no reason.  She had come yesterday for money as well and our friend who was at the house with me had told her no at that time so she came earlier today when she knew my friend would not be at my house.  Two days ago I gave our building’s security guard some money to buy his wife some medicine.  Then yesterday he showed up asking for a large amount of money because their TV had broken and he wanted me to pay for it so he said he didn’t have money for rent now that he fixed his TV.  I felt bad, but had to say "no" which I followed up with saying “I don't even own a TV so why would I fix yours?”  Also, on Saturday this same guy had asked me to give him my suitcase.  Yesterday our back up batteries (for when the power goes out), stopped working. The man showed up, looked at them and said "they are broken I need 27,000 rupees"(500US dollars) to replace them". I nearly cried then asked, "is there a warranty" He said, "yes, but yours is up because they are 3 years old" to which I smiles and said, "no they are not they will be 3 years old in Dec." His demeanor change and he said "Um, well I need the receipt" (He thought why would she still have that) I went to our office and 5 mins later handed him the receipt. Quickly he said " Um, maybe I can fix them" Within 2 hours our batteries were working again. I really don't under stand why people here think they can pull this over on me......................Literally someone just knocked at the door as I was writing the above post/blog and it was the guard AGAIN... asking for more money for medicine, since he spent all his money on his TV.  I had to say no since I have given him so much in the past few weeks.  He stood in my doorway in tears for 10 mins till our friend asked him to leave.  My heart was broken I wanted to help but couldn't...plus even our Indian friends think he is using the medicine excuse to get money for the TV as we have always told him to bring receipts which he never does.  My naive heart just wants to believe everyone is trustworthy but they are not here as it is such a different mindset and culture.  

This week I have also been lied to, to my face by employees at 2 different larger companies. I caught them in their lies, but they still refused to help me just because I am a girl. We sent our Friend MR with my dad back to both companies and they eventually got the things working that we needed.  I must say I wish I could help every person who comes to my door...every beggar I see on the street but it is just not possible. I have gone to my room a few times this week and sat and held back the tears of the reality of what sin has done to this city and these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment